TABLE OF CONTENT
- Why Do You Need A Sideboard?
- How To Choose The Perfect Sideboard Cabinet
- How To Care For And Maintain Your New Sideboard?
Here's a crazy fact: The global contemporary sideboard table market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.5% from 2022 to 2030. This shows the craze for this piece of furniture. And so it's no surprise that you landed on this article wanting to learn how to choose a sideboard.
Sideboards are the best if you want some trendy furniture for a clutter-free house. They can be a game-changer for your home decor and organization.
Now, choosing a sideboard might be as easy as you think. You often get into a maze of what a sideboard, credenzas, and buffet are because they look similar but different. First, clear the doubt by checking this article, Credenza vs. Buffet vs. Sideboard, and come back to this article.
For now, we will give a small gist of a sideboard.
A sideboard comes with a flat top and cabinets or drawers for storage. Regarding aesthetics, sideboards come in various styles, including traditional and modern, and they often contribute to a room's overall decor.
Now, let's get started.
Why Do You Need A Sideboard?
People assume a sideboard cabinet is dining room furniture, which is true, but know that it can serve other rooms of your home. Here are 5 reasons why you might want to consider adding a sideboard cabinet to your home.
1. Versatile Furniture
Let's answer the first question. Yes, sideboards are not restricted to the dining room; rather, they are versatile pieces of furniture that can be used in various rooms. For example, they can fit living rooms, entryways, hallways, or even bedrooms. This adaptability makes them a practical choice for different areas of your home.
2. Functional Serving Area
Do you host parties or gatherings often? A sideboard can serve as a convenient serving area. You can set up food and drinks on the surface, making it easy for guests to help themselves.
3. Display Space
A sideboard can be like a mini-art gallery in your home. You can have open shelves or glass doors and flaunt your coolest vases, dinnerware, etc. Such sideboards never fail to add a personalized touch to your living space.
4. Storage Solution
You probably know about this perk. A sideboard provides extra storage space. Thus, it helps you declutter your living areas or dining room. Store dishes, linens, or anything you want to keep handy but out of sight.
5. Stylish Decor Elements
Sideboards come in various designs and are simply made of different materials and finishes, making them a stylish addition to your home. You can place a beautiful vase or your prized possessions on the surface.
A Practical Guide On How To Choose The Perfect Sideboard Cabinet
Think About Size
When you plan to buy a sideboard, first measure the room's size. The sideboard must be in proportion to the room's dimensions and furniture. If not, it will look out of place. On the other hand, if the sideboard is too small, it won't be fair. Because other furniture pieces will overpower it. Standard sideboards sit between 34 and 38 inches in height.
Dining Room Sideboard: If you are buying a dining room sideboard, first consider the average height of your dining room table, which is around 28 to 32 inches. Now consider a sideboard that's slightly taller than this to accommodate the serving of food and to create a free flow within the space.
Living Room Sideboard: If you would be using the sideboard to display the TV, aim to buy a lower sideboard or something that is below eye level when you are seated so that once your TV is added, it will be at the perfect height.
If it's for decorative purposes or for your hallway, get a taller one so that it looks highlighted. If you prefer functionality, let's say for your office, choosing a lower sideboard is best. Also, this type fits your compact space and doesn't dominate the space.
Consider The Material
Wooden sideboards are the most common, and in particular, solid woods are liked for their natural beauty and longevity. If you prefer a durable one, wooden or recycled wooden sideboards are perfect to fit in any interior decor of the room.
While it's not wrong to buy a wooden sideboard, what we recommend is that you can even look for a wooden sideboard that blends in extra material, like glass or metal.
How about adding a modern touch instead of old-school? Consider a wooden sideboard with metal pull handles, chrome-finished legs, or one with a glass door. Sideboards with metal panels are light-weight. If you think that a wooden sideboard is too heavy to carry or move around, check for this type.
Think About Style
You have two options when choosing the style of the sideboard.
- Either you choose something that suits your existing decor in your dining room or living room. To be on the safe side, choose a sideboard with the same style as your space. But remember that being safe doesn't mean the furniture must be boring.
- You can be different, daring, and adventurous and choose a style that is different. When you buy a sideboard as an add-on, it probably won't come in the same style. So if you are choosing a different style, consider a sideboard with a similar finish and style, even if you aren't successful in getting the perfect match.
Brownie Point: Wall-mounted sideboards or floating sideboards are on trend. Though they require some extra effort to install, their legless design looks perfect for minimalistic rooms or professional spaces.
Don't Overlook The Sideboard's Functionality
If you think that the material, size, and style of sideboards are important, then their purpose and functionality are equally important. Traditionally, a sideboard is used to store and arrange dining materials such as dishes, glasses,etc.
Besides, it may also be used to arrange tablecloths, documents, media equipment, and other household objects. So choose the sideboard for what they can do for you and how they satisfy your requirements.
In most cases, people buy sideboards for additional storage space in the dining room. As you already know, a dining room can easily become clumsy with lots of utensils and other kitchen accessories.
What if you have some fancy dinnerware and want to show off its beauty? For this, we recommend investing in a sideboard with glass fronts or doors and a larger surface area that may display your fancy dinnerware.
How To Care For And Maintain Your New Sideboard?
Taking care of your new sideboard is essential to ensuring its longevity and keeping it looking its best. Here are some practical tips:
- Dust your sideboard regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth to keep the dust bunnies at bay. Because nobody wants a dusty seat. This helps maintain the finish and overall appearance.
- When placing items on the sideboard, you must be extra smart, especially when you keep cups, glasses, or hot dishes and use coasters and placemats. They can shield the sideboard's surface against scratches, water rings, and heat. Trust us, your sideboard will thank you.
- Accidents happen. So if a spill occurs, instead of panicking or overlooking it, do clean up the mess ASAP. For cleaning, a slightly damp, soft cloth will do the trick, and strictly avoid harsh chemicals that may harm the sideboard's finish.
- Avoid sharp objects because scratches aren't cool. Treat your sideboard with respect, and it will stay looking sharp without the actual scratches.
- When moving the sideboard, lift it rather than dragging it across the floor. Dragging can easily cause scratches not only to the furniture but also to the floor (sometimes).
Every now and then, give it a polish. Because with time, they will start to age. So, based on the type of finish on your sideboard, polish it to enhance its luster. We recommend using furniture polish that suits the specific material. If your sideboard comes with specific care instructions from the manufacturer, be sure to follow them. Different materials and finishes may require different care routines.
Picking the perfect sideboard cabinet is possible only when you strike the right balance between two things: style and functionality of the sideboard. There are four things you must check while buying a sideboard that include the material, style, function, and size. With these considerations in mind, you will easily invest in the right sideboard that serves your needs.
If you don't want to break your bank and at the same time invest in quality sideboards, check out our sideboard collections at Jenni Home.