TABLE OF CONTENT
- How to Clean and Maintain Your Sectional Sofa
- Regular Dusting and Vacuuming
- Fluff Those Cushions
- Rotate and Flip the Cushions
- Spot Cleaning
- Deep Cleaning
- Protect Your Sofa
- Avoid Sun Exposure
- Cleaning and Maintenance Do’s and Don’ts
- About JenniHome
A sectional sofa is undoubtedly one of the most flexible and practical furniture pieces available. If you have one, you have made the right choice for your home. However, for its longevity, proper cleaning and maintenance are paramount.
In this blog, let's discuss some tips and tricks that will increase the life of your sectional sofa while giving you peace of mind and your home a neat look. So, let's jump right in.
How to Clean and Maintain Your Sectional Sofa
1. Regular Dusting and Vacuuming
Like your clothes, your sectional sofa can accumulate dust and debris over time. To keep it looking clean, start by dusting and vacuuming regularly. Don't be too harsh; always use a soft brush extension to remove dirt and dust from the crevices and upholstery gently. This simple step will prevent dust from settling and causing wear and tear.
2. Fluff Those Cushions
Over time, your sectional sofa's cushions can start to sag, losing their original plumpness. Give them a good fluffing every few weeks to maintain their shape and comfort. This will distribute the filling evenly and ensure your sectional remains irresistibly cozy.
If you are thinking about how you would fluff the cushions, don't worry; follow these three simple steps after removing the cushions:
- Massage and Squeeze
- Pat and Punch
- Shake and Rotate
3. Rotate and Flip the Cushions
Sectional sofas often come with removable cushions. To ensure even wear, rotate and flip the cushions periodically. This will help prevent one side from getting more worn out than the other.
4. Spot Cleaning
Accidents may still occur no matter how cautiously you use your sectional sofa. Taking quick action is critical if you spill anything that could stain, such as coffee, juice, sauce, etc. These steps will help you get rid of the stain:
Things You Need:
- Mild detergent or upholstery cleaner
- Warm water
- Clean white cloth or paper towel
- Soft-bristle brush or toothbrush
- Spray bottle
Steps To Follow:
- Step 1: Blot the spill instantly with a soft paper towel or a clean cloth with good absorbing capacity, such as cotton, working from the outside to prevent spreading. Always try to keep a blotting paper at home for more convenience. Avoid rubbing harshly, as this can push the stain deeper into the fabric.
- Step 2: Apply the cleaning solution and gently dab the stain. If using a spray bottle, lightly spray the stained area or dip a clean cloth or sponge into the solution; make sure to wring it out so it's damp but not soaking wet.
- Step 3: Blot again and gently rub the area. Use a blotting paper, clean cloth, or paper towel to blot the stained area again. You can also use a soft-bristle brush or a toothbrush to rub the stained area in a circular motion gently. Be careful; only dab, and do not scrub the area too harshly, as this can damage the fabric.
- Step 4: Rinse and repeat if necessary. Rinse the area by blotting with a cloth dampened with clean water to remove any residue from the cleaning solution. Blot dry with a clean, dry cloth.
- Step 5: Allow the spot to dry thoroughly after cleaning. Avoid sitting on or using the sofa until it's dry.
- Step 6: After the spot has dried, use a soft-bristle brush or hand to fluff and restore the fabric's texture.
Note: For more stubborn stains, consult your sofa's care instructions or consider professional cleaning.
5. Deep Cleaning
Regular deep cleaning is essential to maintain your sectional sofa's freshness and appearance. Here's a step-by-step guide:
- Check the Manufacturer's Instructions: Always consult the manufacturer's recommendations before deep cleaning. Different materials may require specific cleaning products or methods.
- Remove Cushion Covers: If your sectional has removable cushion covers, follow the care label instructions to wash them.
- Clean the Frame: To remove the built-up dust and dirt on the sofa's frame, use a damp cloth to wipe it down. Use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner if necessary, but test it on an unnoticeable area first.
- Upholstery Cleaning: Use a fabric-specific cleaner or a warm water and mild detergent mixture, depending on the type of upholstery. Gently scrub the stains or soiled areas with a soft cloth or a sponge, taking care not to oversaturate the fabric.
- Vacuum: Vacuum areas you can't reach, such as crevices and corners.
- Rinse and Dry: After cleaning, wipe the sofa down with a clean, damp cloth to remove any residue. Allow the couch to air dry thoroughly before replacing the cushion covers.
6. Protect Your Sofa
Use furniture protectors or slipcovers to shield your sectional from spills, pet hair, and everyday wear and tear. These protective measures can extend the life of your sofa and make it easier to maintain. Make sure to wash the covers frequently.
7. Avoid Sun Exposure
Over time, the upholstery on your sectional can fade and deteriorate due to exposure to direct sunlight. Position your sofa away from windows or use curtains and blinds to block harsh sunlight.
Cleaning and Maintenance Do’s and Don’ts
- Vacuum and dust regularly.
- Deep clean every once in a while.
- Address spills promptly.
- Rotate seat cushions.
- Fuff seat and back cushions often.
- Use coasters for drinks to prevent water rings.
- Keep pets off the sofa or use a pet-friendly cover.
- Avoid sitting on the sofa with sharp objects in your pockets.
- Consider using arm covers to protect against oils and dirt.
- Keep away from direct sunlight, and use sunblock curtains or blinds.
- Letting the stain dry.
- Rubbing harshly.
- Using overly wet cloth or sponge.
- Using too much water.
- Using harsh detergents or cleaners.
- Using a hard-bristle brush.
- Cleaning from inward to outward motion.
- Not checking the care label.
- Use a hot blow dryer for drying.
- Not doing a patch test.
Jenni Home is a renowned online furniture store known for exceptional quality, great designs, and competitive prices. At Jennihome, you will find furniture ranging from sectional sofas to sleepers, buffet tables, outdoor furniture, and more.
In addition, Jenni Home provides a convenient shopping experience with various shipping, delivery, and financing options. For more information, visit Jennihome.com.
To sum up, it is essential to ensure proper care and maintenance for the longevity of your sectional sofa. Following this blog's tips and tricks, you can keep your sofa looking clean, comfortable, and inviting.
Remember, a well-maintained sectional sofa enhances the aesthetics of your home and provides a comfortable and enjoyable experience. At Jennihome.com, you can find many different sectional sofas for your home.